About the Bolay Residency 2021
It’s not unusual for artists to occasionally feel disconnected. Feeling disconnected from your practice or your career can happen for a myriad of reasons – health, financial, family or caring responsibilities; or a creative block. You might take time away from the studio, it may happen by choice or it may be because of something completely out of your control, like a pandemic. When you get back to making work, you may know where you want to go but the terrain feels different. The Bolay Residency aims to offer one such artist excellent support as well as the time and space to develop their work and reconnect with their practice.
The two month Bolay Residency at the Linenhall Arts Centre
(Castlebar, Co. Mayo
) will enable the selected artist to expand their practice in a supportive environment and dedicate eight weeks to creating new work, or further developing an existing project. During the residency, the Linenhall Arts Centre will provide facilities and resources for productive experimentation, dialogue, and collaboration.
Bolay Residency 2021 will take place from 26th October to 17th December and includes a studio, accommodation, tailored mentorship, an Artist Fee of €8,000, materials budget of €2,000 and an exhibition opportunity in 2022.
The Linenhall Arts Centre hosted the inaugural Bolay Residency in 2020, in honour of visual artist Veronica Bolay who sat on the Board of Directors for a period spanning 13 years. She is remembered for her contribution to the artistic community in Mayo and for her kind and generous nature amongst her peers. The focus of the annual Bolay Residency will be to open our community to an artist who feels they will benefit from a supportive environment and dedicated studio time at a pivotal stage of their career.
The Bolay Residency 2021 is kindly supported by the Arts Council.
You will be asked to create a basic account with your email address and password of your choice. This will allow us to verify your email address and keep you updated of progress. You will also be able to save drafts of your application form and return to it as often as you like before the deadline.
Preview of Questions:
- Phone number
- Website (where relevant)
- Tell us about your artistic practice, your journey and what you feel are your most significant achievements to date. (max 200 words)
- What studio work or activities do you want to focus on during the residency? (max 200 words)
- What research or learning do you want to focus on during the residency? (max 200 words)
- What are the next steps you hope to take in your career and how will this residency help with that? (max 200 words)
- Please give details on the type of mentorship or curatorial support you feel would benefit your career right now (studio visits with particular curators, technical skills, peer learning, career guidance, marketing/administration skills, etc.) (max 200 words)
- What is it about the Bolay Residency that appeals to you? (max 200 words)
- How do you think you will interact with the area, community or local context?
- Please upload:
- Up to 7 examples of your work. Please include images or links to video, with short descriptions as necessary.
- Artists CV
- Your artist statement (optional)
Please upload the information in one PDF document (video files or links can be uploaded separately).